Saturday, April 6, 2013

Dresser Drawer to DIY Planter

I recently found myself with an excess of dresser drawers with no dresser to put them into since I turned my old dresser into a bar. So I've had these babies just sitting gathering dust in the basement with no idea what to do with them. Well thanks to Green Updrader that has changed. I took those yucky off brown dresser drawers and turned them into this gorgeous succulent planter.




DIY Dresser Drawer Planter

What you will need:
  • Discarded Dresser Drawer
  • 4 Spindle table legs
  • sandpaper
  • paint (your choice on color I used a yellowy eggshell leftover from a bathroom remodel)
  • sealer
  • potting soil
  • plastic liner (I used a cut up plastic tarp)
  • various succulents
  • a large flat stone (optional if you would like a coaster for drinks then add it)

First attach the spindle legs to the bottom corners of the drawer.  

This was the version that I used (mainly because I had a set of four laying around from some previous abandoned project.) You could use two by fours cut to size and that would work just fine, I used what I had on hand. Mine came with hardware already attached so I drilled and screwed mine in.


Yours should look something like this. Make sure it is sturdy and doesn't wiggle around (hubby ended up putting some brackets around the corners since our were a wee bit on the wobbly side). Next, remove the handle and lightly sand down all surfaces of the table. Brush off with a clean cloth and paint it your desired color. 

It doesn't show up very well but this is actually a really pretty yellowy color. I used about three coats of paint to cover up that godawful brown. I also painted about a three inch lip around the inside of the planter since that will be peeking out a bit. Find something to do for a couple of hours while you paint dries. Once its all dry, it is time to apply your sealer. This is extremely important since this is going to be an outdoor planter and you don't want the wood to warp.

I did this step outside since I didn't want to stink up the whole place with varnish (and since it was such a sunny warm day finally!) I did make a slight mistake here: DO NOT use a paint sponge like I did. It ended up leaving a bunch of little black sponge bits all over my project which was a real bummer. Use a brush, trust me. Coat then wait at least four hours to dry. If you want a double coat, repeat.

Once everything is dry, reattach the handle. Line the inside with the cut up plastic (sorry I did not take picture of this step.) Fill your table about halfway with potting soil. Then, the fun part: planting!  

I picked out some fun cacti and various succulents as well as a little bit of moss. Arrange how you would like, making sure they are not overcrowded. If you chose a flat rock be sure to leave room so that anyone using it does not have to weed through cacti.

Finally, my favorite part: stepping back and enjoying my new craft!

This is a nice and functional way to reuse those old drawers and it really makes for a pretty addition to our deck. I can't wait to show it off at our next BBQ!

-Bee






No comments:

Post a Comment